Contributed by Kimberly Lund, MD.
A sufficient amount of sleep is essential for optimal physical health, immune function, mental health, and cognition. Even weight gain can be associated with stress of inadequate sleep!
To improve sleep time:
- Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time, even on the weekends.
- Practice a bedtime routine.
- If you have trouble sleeping at night, avoid naps, especially in the late afternoon.
- Exercise daily
- Maintain a sleep environment conducive to sleep. Darkness is important.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Regular bright light exposure in the mornings may help to maximize alertness and maintain a regular circadian rhythm.
- Avoid cigarettes, caffeine, and heavy meals in the evening.
- Avoid use of electronics at least 30 minutes before habitual bedtime and in the middle of the night if awakenings occur.
- If you cannot sleep, go into another room and sit quietly until you feel drowsy enough to fall asleep again. Then return to bed.
Anticipate changes in your sleep patterns and needs as your age and circumstances change. Worry about “lost” sleep does not help the quality of your rest. Relax. As long as you are truly setting yourself up for a good night’s sleep, your body will naturally take what it needs.
By Renée Tillotson
Dr. Kimberly Lund, D.O.
Trade Winds Family Medicine
If you are looking for a family doctor who will sincerely take time to help you find your optimal health, head straight to doctor Kimberly! She is a board certified family medicine physician who provides comprehensive health care for the entire family. “I take a “whole person” approach to my patients, based on my background in osteopathic medicine. In addition to traditional treatments, I set time aside each week for osteopathic manipulation.” She’s a low key doctor who succeeds in providing low-stress health care.
What Dr. Lund loves about her practice is treating patients in the same community she lives in – bumping into them in the grocery and having them say, “Don’t look in my shopping cart – you won’t approve!
Dr. Lund thrives on educating her patients about their health and encourages their proactivity. Trade Winds Family Medicine, which she founded in 2009, truly provides comfortable surroundings and compassionate medical professionals. They offer primary care for all ages, newborn to seniors, men and women, gynecologic care, skin cancer screening, sports medicine, chronic disease management, disease prevention, and much more.
Cliff and I whole-heartedly recommend Dr. Lund.