Waikiki Walk Story & Hula
July 5 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
|Recurring Event (See all)
One event on July 5, 2019 at 10:00 am
Mondays 10am – 12pm
$69 or $49 (under 14yrs)
Minimum 3 participantsBook now!
Connect with the ‘āina for a walking tour along Kalia Road and Waikīkī beach. Offer ho’okupu and learn about healing practices of the area. Discover more about Waikīkī’s rich history as Mālia shares the story of Kawehewehe and the surrounding fishponds and healing springs that were filled in the 1920s. This thoughtful and insightful walk will challenge participants to seek traces of healing and recovery in the surrounding land and within each individual. An Optional Hula class is offered by Kumu Malia free of charge at the end of the walk.
This walk story begins at the Waikiki Bandstand in Kapiolani Park and ends at Still & Moving Center, 1024 Queen Street, Honolulu, a community based mindful movement Center that has been offering multicultural classes, events and workshops for over 7 years, in the heart of Kaka’ako.
- The walk is led by kumu hula, Malia Helela, traditionally trained hula instructor, lomilomi practitioner and cultural advisor
- The activity is simultaneously translated to Japanese for all dates except July 5
- Discover a new perspective of the area through the eyes of a traditional healer and cultural practitioner
- Re-imagine Waikiki it in its original natural incarnation
- Learn about aloha ‘aina, hula & oli
- Learn the basics of Hula.
- Walk approximately 2 miles with stops & collect litter along the way
What to know
– There must be a minimum of 3 participants for this tour. If this minimum is not met, we will contact you to reschedule your tour or provide a refund.
– All ages are welcome, but you must be able to be on your feet for *two* hours and walk up to *two* miles in potentially inclement weather.
– A portion of the proceeds from your ticket price is donated to travel2change and other Hawaiian charities.
– You must fill out a waiver before attending, the link will be included in your confirmation email.