Kendo Basics for Health with Master Jonah Chin
Tuesdays & Thursdays 8-8:45 pm. Starts February 12.
Kendo translates as “way of the sword” in Japanese. For this class, the intention is to enhance healthy reflexes, coordination and balance. The basic disciplines and moves of Kendo’s bamboo sword, supplemented by the foam sword, can provide an effective cross-training to qigong. The swifter movement and lightness of foot of Kendo counterbalance qigong’s long-held poses. While full development of Kendo results in a martial art or sports-like sparring, health is the goal of this class. Teacher approval in advance required to attend class.
Master Jonah Chin
“Master” is the closest English translation of a traditional Korean title that means both “teacher” and “exemplar”: one who exemplifies in his life what it is that he teaches.
Master Chin’s martial arts training goes back over 40 years, having started when he was 5 years old. He has since disciplined himself in one of Korea’s oldest Daoist medicinal lineages for over 25 years. Some of his practices include: traditional qigong, iaido, kendo and acupuncture. Even his seemingly martial practices ultimately bear the stamp of his dedication to healing and actually self-evolving into a higher level of awareness and wholeness.
Jonah Chin (L.Ac.), a licensed acupuncturist in Hawaii, previously practiced acupuncture in Seattle Washington for 16 years. He received the Diploma of Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine at Oshio College of Acupuncture and Herbology at Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
As a dedicated practitioner of the ancient Oriental healing art of pulse diagnosis, Jonah is advancing the application of acupuncture to treat illness at every level of experience: physical, mental and emotional. At Still & Moving Center, Jonah’s acupuncture treatments largely focus on pain management: Acute, Chronic, Shoulder, Lower Back and Knee Pain.
- KoBang Daoist Qigong – Master
- Lynnwood Kendo Club – Master
- Mugairyu Iaido (7th degree) – Master
- Dae Han Moo Do Guan (Kendo) (5th degree)
- Master martial arts teacher, proprietor and L.Ac. of GoBang Acupuncture Clinic, Edmonds, Washington 2001 to 2017.
- USKSF (United States Kuo Shu Federation) Baltimore (1st prize in Contact Weapon Sparring Division in 2014)Dao Source Seminars (New York, Seattle, Arizona) in 2009 & 2010.
- Mugairyu Iaido and Kendo Demonstration (Korean Cultural Festival 2006)
- Homosanctus Boot Camp 2006 (Teaching Sihk yoga masters)
- Khalsa Men’s Camp VBC 2006 (Invited as Daoist Qigong Master)
- Mugairyu Iaido Demonstration (Japanese Cultural Festival 2003)
- Wushu Tournament in San Francisco (1st prize in Contact Weapon Sparring Division in 2001)
- Jungyae Moosul (Complete Martial Art) Chief Instructor (1992-1994)