Hawaiian culture lies at the very foundation of the Still & Moving Center.
Blessed with the presence of Kumu, Malia Helela, from construction through to today, the Center has been providing seamless continuity in Hawaiian Cultural practices and Aloha to the community, from hula and chanting to blessing events, Lei making classes and lomilomi for over 7 years. Malia’s traditional practice spans 2 decades and is in constant evolution. New and ongoing projects include training modules covering Hawaiian hospitality and Management practices.
Mālia strives to live a life of grace. She began her formal training in lomilomi as a teenager. She was licensed by the State of Hawaii as a massage therapist in 1998 and as an esthetician in 2002. Her hula practice and lomilomi practice, she says, are the same. Her hula halau, which meets at Still & Moving Center, is Na Hula Ola Aloha. Completing her ‘uniki under Kumu Hula Pulu’elo Park in 2002, Kumu Malia now teaches hula and oli to a wide range of students, from infants and toddlers to kupuna. Malia studied oli (traditional Hawaiian chant) under Kumu Hula John Keola Lake. She continues to look to the beauty and grace of the Hawaiian environment for grounding and inspiration.
Hawaiian Cultural offerings at the Center:
- Keiki Hula Series Summer series: July 1-29, 2018 (every Sunday)
Fall series: Sep 2 to Dec 30 (every Sunday except Oct 14 and Nov 11)
- Hula and Oli for adults – Auwana and Kahiko
- Lomilomi Series Summer series: June 28-30, 2018 (16hr intensive)
Fall series: 8 Sundays from 6-8pm: Aug 12, 19, 26, Sep 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Hawaiian themed outings
see events calendar for upcoming Hawaiian Events at the Center
Hawaiian themed outings, events and trainings:
- Palena Orientation to Hawaiian Management practices, Ancient wisdom for today’s leaders
- Oahu’s geography of the Hawaiian Healing Arts
- Kaheahea, Hawaiian Hospitality
- Waterfall Lei-making outing
- Hiuwai, Sunrise Ocean cleanse
- Lomilomi, Hawai’ian Traditional massage workshops
- Wao Lehua guidance for Women
Contact us for details and quotes