“May Day Lei Day in Hawaii” Hula immersion w Kumu Hula, Mālia Helelā
April 30 - May 5
Whether you are a novice or an established dancer, Mālia’s guidance will encourage full immersion in the cultural background, techniques, inspiration and foundations of the much-admired Hawaiian Hula. A 17 hour intensive training to deepen all elements of your Hula practice.
This year’s training will be held in conjunction with the annual Lei Day Celebrations on Oahu. Lei Day celebrates Hawaiian culture, also known as the “Aloha spirit,” represented by the lei, the traditional flower garland or wreath which people wear as a necklace or on their heads. Lei Day is set aside to celebrate the lei and the skill and artistry of Hawai‘i’s lei makers, honoring Hawai‘i’s people and their rich heritage.
Kumu Mālia Ko’i’ulaokawaolehua Helela strives to live a life of grace. She began her formal training in lomilomi as a teenager. She was licensed by the State of Hawaii as a massage therapist in 1998 and as an esthetician in 2002. Her hula practice and lomilomi practice, she says, are the same. Her hula halau, which meets at Still & Moving Center, is Na Hula Ola Aloha. Completing her ‘uniki under Kumu Hula Pulu’elo Park in 2002, Kumu Mālia now teaches hula and oli to a wide range of students, from infants and toddlers to kupuna. Mālia studied oli (traditional Hawaiian chant) under Kumu Hula John Keola Lake. She continues to look to the beauty and grace of the Hawaiian environment for grounding and inspiration.
Sign up now for your Complete Immersion:
· 17 hours of training with Malia Helela, in our world class Still & Moving Center facility
· Lei Day May Day celebrations at Kapiolani Park, an afternoon of activities, story, Lei-making & Hula by the sea
· Healthy lunch- fresh, healthy, delicious meals to power you through your training
· 1 sunrise Ocean cleanse
· 1 Nia class for energizing your day and 1 Yin Yoga class to find your serenity and augment your experience of Aloha
· 1 volunteer outreach activity with a local organization
Early Bird: $1545 After Mar 07, 2018 $1745
Max 20 participants
The retreat will be led in the following languages:
English and Japanese